Sunday, February 11, 2007

SWAP Status

Today I realized what a grand journey this SWAP adventure is. I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed, though I am sure I will finish unless something really unexpected comes along.

Because I have no TNT's, I've had to do a few muslins along the way, and I've made a few garments for my original SWAP which somehow no longer fit very well. So now I need to regroup and decide where to go now. I'm counting almost-done things as done here, because none of them have more than a half-hour of work to complete, and besides, it feels better than way.

JACKET(S)

PRINT JEAN JACKET - counts as Top #6
Done. (except for snaps which seem unavailable around here)

REVERSIBLE STIPPLED JACKET
Barely started. Pieces are cut and 'sandwiches' ready. Still need to practice the stippling and finalize the stitching design. There is another class in two weeks, at which time we are supposed to have the stippling done.


BOTTOMS


PRINT SKIRT
Done!

IVORY ONE-SEAM PANTS
Done!

BLACK BAMBOO GATHERED SKIRT
Almost Done.
(except for hem, which needs measuring, decision re length and stitching) This skirt may even need a tie belt of some sort.

TAUPE STRETCH CORD PANTS
Not even started. I want to try the latest Burda WOF pant for stretch fabrics, so I will need to trace and check the sizing carefully.



TOPS


RED JALIE CROSSOVER TOP - LS
Done!

BLACK JALIE CROSSOVER TOP - SS
Done.
(except for hemming which will take a little care because its a soft knit)
EDIT: FEB 13 - Finished!

BEIGE LS BLOUSE - BURDA WOF
Done!

BLACK or IVORY BAMBOO COWL NECK TOP
Not started.
Not even cut, but I used the pattern successfully before. The black bamboo is on hand, the ivory is ordered.

SHIRT #5 - UNDECIDED
Originally this was to have been a red cotton zip front shirt with a collar. I could also do the same shirt from stretch corduroy to match the taupe pants below. I've made this pattern before and have the fit down quite well. I really need to look at the overall collection of garments, and make the decision about this shirt using all the other pieces. There are several tops in my original plan that I have not used. I think I need an ivory top, perhaps more than a red one.


EXTRA PIECES

In the process of doing muslins, and of changing my mind I have completed or partially completed several other pieces that may or may not belong in the SWAP in preference to some of those listed above. One of these days I will need a fashion consultation with some friends.

RED VELOUR SKIRT - Done around Christmas. Seems too dressy for the rest of the SWAP

BLACK VELOUR TANK TOP - Done as SWAP #1 but also quite dressy. More importantly, the fit is not quite right. I think I need a tank top as part of this SWAP, though. I have some ivory velour, maybe I could experiment with that.

IVORY FLEECE JACKET - Well underway. This is the unreversible muslin for my Saf-T-Pockets reversible jacket. It still needs a zipper, and the collar finished up, as well as binding and maybe pockets. It is lovely and goes well with the whole SWAP. It would be sad to leave my jean jacket our of the SWAP though, but perhaps that is what will happen. Certainly the print jean jacket and the print skirt are a bit of overkill when worn together. Also, 3 jackets in the SWAP would also be overkill, since it's really tops that I need much more than jackets.

PLUM PANTS - Done. These were an afterthought at the time, and I felt they would go fine with the tops I was planning, but they definitely do not go with the print jean jacket which was another afterthought. They're getting a lot of wear though.

BLACK KNIT CAMI - Partially done. This morning's adventure, in between cutting kiddie clothes and making my fabric 'sandwiches.' I made the pattern from an existing garment to use up the remnants from the black crossover top, a black sparkly knit from Julie which I love.


End of SWAP reflections for today.

No comments: